Prosciutto di San Daniele PDO: market data from 2023

Esportazioni San Daniele

With over 2.5 million legs of prosciutto produced and exports making up 19% of total sales, San Daniele PDO yet again recorded excellent results in 2023. The number of certified pre-sliced prosciutto packs exceeded 21.3 million.

In 2023, Prosciutto di San Daniele PDO was yet again confirmed to be one of the most purchased and consumed Italian food and wine products both in Italy and abroad. In the year just gone, San Daniele PDO produced, in 31 production facilities located in the municipality of San Daniele del Friuli, 2,590,000 legs of prosciutto from 3,510 certified farms in ten regions of Central-North Italy and entrusted to 44 butchers in PDO supply chain.

The export share recorded a 2% growth and amounted to 19% of the year’s total sales with 3 million kilograms sold to the foreign market (outside of Italy). 55% of the total export shares went to the European Union, whilst the remaining 45% were exported to third countries.

The countries with the most relevant export shares of Prosciutto di San Daniele PDO are listed in order of volume: France, the United States, Australia, Germany and Belgium. The other main foreign target markets are Switzerland, Austria, the United Kingdom, Luxembourg and Canada. In 2023, excellent performance was recorded, in order of volume exported, for the United States (+11%), Australia (+7%), the United Kingdom (+30%) and the Czech Republic (+18%).

The number of certified pre-sliced Prosciutto di San Daniele packs exceeded 21.3 million, equal to 407,000 legs of prosciutto (an increase of 1% with respect to the previous year), totalling more than 2 million kilograms, confirming this as an established trend in line with new consumption patterns.

The total turnover from production and distribution remained at EUR 360 million, consistent with previous years, after the 14% increase recorded in 2022.

San Daniele del Friuli, 27 February 2024