The history and art of San Daniele del Friuli are thoroughly documented care of the local cultural institutions. These range from the valuable collection of antiquities in the “Biblioteca” (Library) to the exhibition of archaeological finds and from the precious works of art in the “Museo del Territorio” (Local-Area Museum) to a collection of war relics in the “Casa del Trecento” (14th Century House).
The Biblioteca Guarneriana in the 15th century Palazzo della Magnifica Comunità
The Biblioteca Guarneriana, housed in the 15th century Palazzo della Magnifica Comunità, is the oldest library in the Friuli area and one of the first ever public reading places in Italy. Founded in 1466 by the priest Guarnerio d’Artegna, it has an ancient collection of codex manuscripts and incunabula as well as, among other things, the collection of manuscripts and books left to it by Abbot Giusto Fontanini in 1736.
Go to the site of the Library: www.guarneriana.it
The Museo del Territorio (Local-area Museum)
This museum is housed in the “Old Hospital” building. It has valuable works of art and archaeological finds. The exhibits include two 15th century wooden altars originally housed in the Church of Sant’Antonio Abate as well as a polyptych attributed to the Venetian artists Paolo di Amedeo and Michele Bono known as Giambono and a frontal by the Bavarian artist Leonardo Thanner.
Go to the site of the Museo del Territorio:
The hall containing the exhibition of war relics in the Casa del Trecento
The building is the only one that has remained unaltered in the medieval part of the town. It is managed by the Associazione Alpini (Alpine Corps Association) of San Daniele, and houses a small thematic museum with a collection of relics connected with events and the daily lives of soldiers in World Wars I and II.
The Teatro Sociale “Teobaldo Ciconi” (Teobaldo Ciconi Social Theatre)
This theatre was opened in 1929, to commemorate the one thousandth anniversary of the foundation of the town of San Daniele. It was the first permanent venue enabling shows to be scheduled regularly. It is named after the most important local playwright who had risen to fame in 1860 with his comedy Le pecorelle smarrite and the dramatic play La figlia unica.
Go to the site of the Theatre: