The Church of Sant’Antonio Abate
The earliest reference to this church, consecrated to the patron saint of butchers and charcutiers, dates back to the year 1308. Its façade, built in 1470, reveals a Venetian Gothic taste. The church is known as the “Sistine Chapel of the Friuli area” as it houses an extraordinary cycle of paintings from the Renaissance period painted between 1497 and 1522 by Pellegrino da San Daniele.
Go to the site of the Museum of San Daniele: http://www.museosandaniele.it/ita/territorio/04SA.html
Designed in 1579 by Andrea Palladio and completed by Andrea Podaro, the Portonat (formerly Porta Gemona) is one of the symbols of the town. The gate, commissioned by the Patriarch of Aquileia Giovanni Grimani, was built from 1579 to 1582 over the ruins of a tower destroyed in the 1511 earthquake.
The Cathedral of San Michele Arcangelo
Built in the 14th century on the site of an earlier building, it was renovated in the 18th century by the Venetian architect Domenico Rossi and later enlarged. It houses many important works of art, including the baptismal font by Carlo da Carona (1510), the high altar by Francesco Fosconi (1735) and paintings by Pomponio Amalteo (1549) and Pordenone (1534).
The “Monte di Pietà” building
This building was designed by the Venetian Matteo Lucchesi, uncle of Giovanni Battista Piranesi, who shared the ideals of Palladio and Scamozzi, and built from 1768 and 1775. Imposing in terms of size, it features rough-tooled stone arches on the ground floor, while the upper floors are characterised by alternating gables and lunettes above the windows and a central double-lancet window with rounded arches.
Next to the Cathedral stands an unfinished 16th century bell-tower. Solid-looking and square, it was designed by Giovanni Ricamatore, also known as Giovanni da Udine, who was a disciple of Raphael. He was appointed as an architect to supervise all the building works in Udine. The original drawing dated 1531 is kept in the Biblioteca Guarneriana library.
Villa Masetti de Concina
Flanked by a stretch of the old town wall, this villa is one of the best examples of 18th century stately architecture in the Friuli area. The stately house dominates the eastern slope of the hill with a garden providing a magnificent view of the moraine hills and the Friuli plain.
The Church of Santa Maria della Fratta
This church dates back to 1348 and stands alongside the medieval town wall. Incorporated into the apse is one of the ancient towers of the town. Above the portal on the 15th century façade is a lunette with a bas-relief by Giorgio da Carona (1476). Inside the church there is a fragment of a 15th century fresco featuring a falconry scene.
The Belvedere and the Scenic Steps
The public gardens stretching out opposite the church of San Daniele and Villa Ticozzi provide a wonderful view of the moraine hills. The stone belvedere, built on the ruins of one of the town’s ancient watchtowers that in the 15th century used to overlook the eastern part of the castle gardens, makes a perfect viewpoint.
The shrine to the Madonna di Strada
Built following a miracle in the 17th century, this shrine contains an altarpiece portraying Our Lady painted in 1506 by Pellegrino da San Daniele. It is one of Friuli’s most interesting baroque buildings. The façade was altered in 1901on the basis of a project by Raimondo D’Aronco.